We have one of the largest and most experienced teams of Specialist Cardiologists in the country. We offer a comprehensive diagnostic and interventional cardiology service; however, we enjoy the challenge of all cardiology cases no matter how simple or complex the problem. We provide a practical and affordable cardiology referral service, ensuring that the clients' and animals' needs always come first.
Our team of cardiology specialists at SCVS have considerable experience in referral and first opinion practice, so we understand what vets and animal owners want from a referral service. Meet the team.
We will make the referral process easy for you. Referred animals will be seen promptly. We will always take the time to understand and discuss the pet’s problem and explain what investigations we feel are required and why.
We always take time to explain clearly what we have discovered after investigation and how we can help.
Reports are written to the referring vet within 24 hours of consultation.
We will always try to attain a satisfactory solution within your client's budget. We want to help, so don’t hesitate to call and discuss the problem, even if it is just for advice.
Services and Facilities
Consultations in Cardiology
- Heart murmur
- Reduced exercise ability
- Breathing abnormalities
- Echocardiography (GE Vivid 7 Dimension, offering the highest quality 2D, M-mode, spectral, colour and tissue Doppler)
- 12 channel ECG recording/monitoring
- Digital ambulatory ECG monitoring (Holter) - allows ECG recording in the home environment for up to 7 days
- ECG telemetry for remote monitoring of critical patients
- Implantable reveal devices - subcutaneous ECG devices useful for investigation of intermittent collapse
Direct (DR) digital for instant high quality thoracic radiographs - often without the need for sedation.
Thoracic CT & Angio-CT
Siemens Somatom Perspective - 64-slice ECG gated CT (advanced cardiac imaging useful for complex congenital heart disease).
Full Interventional Cardiology Service
- Percutaneous closure of PDAs using ACDO (Amplatz)
- Balloon valvuloplasty (pulmonic stenosis)
- Permanent pacemaker implantation (single and dual chamber)
- Surgical ligation of PDAs (patients <3-4kg)
- Pericardectomy (surgical and thoracoscopic)
Heart Testing for Breeders
Four specialist cardiologists on panel for auscultation and echocardiography testing.
Free telephone advice on radiographs and ECGs submitted for interpretation.
To refer a case, please click here.
Download: Mitral Valve Clinic
Download: My Cat has a Heart Murmur
Download: My Dog is Collapsing
Download: My Dog is Couging
Download: My Dog has Dilated Cardiomyopathy (DCM)
Download: Cardio referral pack